Saturday, August 15, 2009

Living Under the Gaze of God

Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who hope for His lovingkindness, To deliver their soul from death And to keep them alive in famine. Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. For our heart rejoices in Him, Because we trust in His holy name. - Psalms 33:18-21 (NASB)

I'm trying to walk in transaprency and confession these days believing it is mandatory for purity of heart and relationship with Him (and each other) [1 John 1:7-9]. So, I share the verses above and my confession for this day.

I've always known in my mind that God sees everything. I'm not sure, however, that I've always felt that He's seen ME! I've thought many times that God was just too busy with more important things to be intricately involved in MY life, and I say that, knowing that I have a long list of events in which He has proven otherwise. Nevertheless, the moments of insignficance exist.

The Amplified Bible reads like this...
Behold, the Lord’s eye is upon those who fear Him [who revere and worship Him with awe], who wait for Him and hope in His mercy and loving-kindness, - v.18
Truth is, the promise is conditional, at least if I take it as it reads. His eye is on me if my eye is on Him. If He fills my field of vision in worship and adoration and if I live in watchful anticipation of His return (How many times in the N.T. does it speak of waiting and looking for His coming?), I'll know that I'm being watched. I'll be living under the gaze of God!

We should look at this "condition" more as a characteristic than a requirement. We know that nothing is truly hidden from God - that there is nothing that He does not see. How in the world would I feel obscured from the gaze of God if I were truly consumed with Him in worship and longing for His return?

We have this promise, when we look into the eyes of God we will always see that He is looking back on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment