Sunday, July 26, 2009

Have You Lost Your Heart?

Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way. - Psalms 139:23-24 (NASB)


The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it? -
Jeremiah 17:9 (NASB)


Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it
flow the springs of life. - Proverbs 4:23 (NASB)

So if sin has somehow become less sinful and that sense of amazement at His grace is a fading memory, how do I find my way back into His “good graces”? How can I again know the joy of God’s salvation? You would think that just “saying no” to sin would do it. Just exercise a little will power. Think positively. Think good thoughts. Be a good person. Do good things for others. Don’t kick the cat and yell at the wife or kids! Surely, if I just do right, think right and act right God will be gracious to me and love me one more time.

Unfortunately, this approach might act as a momentary catharsis and bring temporary relief. It might even make us “better people”. It doesn’t take long, however, to realize that we lack the capacity to sustain such an approach for long periods of time. Even if we do manage to turn over a new leaf, we find in our moments alone with ourselves that an “inner numbness” remains. We’re not as happy as we thought we would be. Something is still missing. With good intentions no doubt, we have mistakenly tried to clean up our act without cleaning up our heart!

Scripture tells us that the heart is the very wellspring of life itself. The condition of the heart determines the quality of life we enjoy. If the heart is weak, we are weak. If the heart is sick, we are sick. If the heart is healthy and strong, we are healthy and strong. Oh, and before we go any further, don’t confuse intentions with heart. Just because we mean well doesn’t mean that we are well!

Many of us have lost touch with our heart and in the process, have become oblivious to its true condition. Heart disease is the number one killer. It is a silent killer. Is spiritual heart disease silently killing you?

Begin today by asking God to help you find your heart. If you will, healing is not far behind.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bro Rick,

    I tried to post a comment yesterday and ran into problems, so I'll give it another shot.

    I like your blog site, it's very nicely done. Been thinking about doing one myself for sometime now. Miriam had encouraged me to get on Face Book, but blogging is more appealing.

    Things are moving along up here in Spokane. Fountain Gate Christian Fellowship is doing well and we love the great Northwest. The only drawback is missing our family and friends scattered around the country.

    Well, keep up the good work and stay in touch.

    Your friend and brother in Christ,
    Bill Fowler

    ReplyDelete